04 November 2019

Beginning again....

I have been using Wordpress for my Blog for a while having become disenchanted with Blogger’s lack of App, since I write a lot of posts using an iPad. However, I have never really got to grips with that system and have decided to return to Blogger and hope that I can make it work better for me. Because I haven’t used it for a while, the Blog looks a bit dated but I will address that as I go along (hopefully).

It is well-known that moving house is stressful and I can now vouch for that, personally. It feels as though it has taken ages to get some sort of equilibrium.

I have managed to make a little progress again with making things. I now have a Workroom but it still isn’t straight as I tend to go and make something rather than carry on with sorting and getting rid of unwanted items.

I have already published some images of things I have made but maybe not all...
I managed to complete my modular jacket knitted from hand-dyed Flax, earlier this year:



Also a textile postcard as part of an initiative by the Branch of the Embroiderer’s Guild I belong to:



It's made out of a piece of felt I made for another project and embroidered/finished round the edge with some of my handspun yarn. I am currently working on another one and then, I have two more to make. I joined in later than everyone else and so, I am rather behind.

I have several knitting projects on the go: a shawl made out of 1-ply silk, which I can sit and knit and watch television/travel/hold a conversation working on, a lace triangular shawl (which I can't do unless I can give it all my attention) and knitted cardigan that I began over a year ago for an event and didn't finish in time. I only have the peplum to knit now but in order to do so, I have to pick up 300+ stitches and I haven't managed to get myself geared up to do that yet.

I have recently spun some Mohair and plied it with either some Bluefaced Leicester or some Shetland that I spun a very long time ago. I discovered it during one of my 'turning out' sessions, thought it was pretty and began to spin it.



It was very hairy and not easy to spin, so I decided plying it with something more stable would be the best thing to do.



This is the outcome; I haven't decided what to make with it yet...

On the travel front, we went to the Netherlands in June with the motorhome. It was an interesting trip but the weather wasn't the best, although it wasn't as wet as it was in the UK during the same period. That's for another post..

We've visited the West Country three times recently and went to Derbyshire in the Spring..The two visits to Devon were to Bovey Tracey and Mortonhampstead to be fitted for and to fetch sandals from Green Shoes and to order some boots. They take a couple of months to be made but since I can rarely get shoes that'll take my insoles these days, I don't mind waiting.



I'm so pleased with them. I now await my boots, which should be ready this month.

We've picked almost 3kg of Blackberries from out garden during August and September; they were early and very abundant. Blackberry and Apple pies and crumbles will follow in due course.

Half Term is now behind us but saw Grandpa and I took the two girls to the Butterfly Farm in Stratford-upon-Avon. It was a horribly wet day, which was why we chose to go there. 



There was great curiosity and these are some of the things we saw:












I don't know what they are all called but the one immediately above (and slightly out of focus) had transparent wings and looks impossibly delicate. The third image is a very large Moth.




The Farm has a colony of ants and it was fascinating to watch them walking along the rope carrying a piece of leaf.

Time to finish now....more in a few days, I hope.


















No comments:

Post a Comment